Here is a short procedure of creating a custom site theme named "Ghost":
1. Copy any theme folder in "C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft Sharedweb server extensions12TEMPLATETHEMES" folder and paste with its name replaced with "Ghost". In this example, copy GRANITE folder.
2. In Ghost folder, rename GRANITE.INF file to GHOST.INF in upper case.
3. Open GHOST.INF file with notepad.
4. Change the value of title under [Info] to Ghost.
5. Replace every word, Granite, under [titles] with Ghost.
6. Open "C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft Sharedweb server extensions12TEMPLATELAYOUTS1033SPTHEMES.XML" file with notepad.
7. Add the following lines under
Notice that preview and thumbnail paths are images/thghost.gif. By default, MOSS 2007 and WSS 3.0 will not have such image files.
8. In order to display thumbnail and preview correctly, you will need to capture the screen and save the file in "C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft Sharedweb server extensions12TEMPLATEIMAGES" folder with thghost.gif name. You can change the .gif file name if you change the thumbnail and preview file names in
9. Do an iisrest for the server to recognize the new theme.
Pretty simple procedure. Now you are ready to test your new theme. In Site Settings, you can now choose Ghost theme; however, the theme will not differ from Granite theme. Now, it is time for you to play with theme.css file!